In the book, The Solution-Centric Organization, Keith Eades and Robert Kear describe how product marketing teams can help sales representatives articulate value by conducting a customer-focused solution messaging exercise to develop Solution Messaging Tools. One example of a tool is the Solution Messaging Card. The card consists of the following components:
- Customer Problem – a brief description of the problem, need, or opportunity being experienced by a specific physician/organization
- Trend Relevance – key trends and issues in the marketplace that relate to the problem state of the customer, which illustrate its pertinence and importance
- Cause of Problem – specific causal factors in the customer’s environment that are creating the problem situation
- Problem Impact – specific clinical, operational, and/or financial impact of the problem on the patients or the practice – specifically, the bad things that happen if the problem is not addressed
- Required Capabilities – capabilities required to address the specific causes of the problem
- Clinical Evidence/Metrics/Proof of Value – clinical, operational, and/or financial data metrics that can be used to determine if the problem is being successfully addressed
- Solution Linkage – how the proposed solution fulfills the capabilities required to address the problem or need
- Differentiators – unique aspects of the product that provide an advantage for the patients and/or the practice
- Case Studies – related case studies that demonstrate prior success in solving the problem
Once developed, the Solution Messaging Card, along with other tools can be placed in the representative’s sales playbook as a reference to ensure that their discussions are customer-centric and focused on the value that their solution can deliver. Additionally, the exercise provides Marketing with clear, aligned, differentiated, value-driven messages to use in the creation of sales collateral through launch and beyond. You can download our Solution Messaging Card template here.
SPI owns the official Solution Selling® methodology, and we have over a quarter-century of experience helping organizations differentiate their solutions by making the transition from product to true, high-value solution selling. Over the years, we’ve seen everything and have perfected our approach for making this transformation successful. Nobody understands how to do this better than SPI.